Strategic planning, in its generic form, is an essential tool for any homeland security agency to be successful. While homeland security-specific strategic planning will be explored in future segments of this course, it is important to develop a solid understanding of the underlying principles of effective strategic planning processes that public entities faced with a highly dynamic operating environment employ to be successful.
In homeland security, a poorly designed and executed strategic plan will, at a minimum, waste critical resources and time. At worse, a poorly designed and executed homeland security strategic plan may leave the nation, a state, or a community unnecessarily vulnerable to a threat that may pose a catastrophic risk. With so much at stake, homeland security organizations must develop and execute sound strategic plans.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- What are the phases of a typical strategic plan?
- How do they differ between goals-based, issues-based, and organic approaches to strategic planning?
- Which approach do you think would work best for a homeland security organization?
- The strategic planning process can bring on organizational change that can sometimes be met with resistance.
- What strategies do you think can be employed to minimize resistance to change? Explain.
- No matter what strategic planning process an organization chooses to follow, trade-offs and negotiations are important aspects.
- What are one or more successful strategies that you feel can be utilized to move the planning process forward? Explain.
- How can a homeland security organization’s strategic planning process be used to develop future goals and objectives? Explain.
- State A’s Department of Homeland Security has included the following statement within its strategic plan:
- By December 31st, the logistics division will realign its distribution system to better serve community within the state.
- Is this statement an example of a strategic goal? Why or why not? Explain.
Looking for solution of this Assignment?
WHY CHOOSE US?
We deliver quality original papers
|Our experts write quality original papers using academic databases.|
|We offer our clients multiple free revisions just to ensure you get what you want.|
|All our prices are discounted which makes it affordable to you. Use code FIRST15 to get your discount|
|We deliver papers that are written from scratch to deliver 100% originality. Our papers are free from plagiarism and NO similarity|
|We will deliver your paper on time even on short notice or short deadline, overnight essay or even an urgent essay|