1. Why does Segal introduce this quote by T.S. Eliot: “Humankind cannot bear very much reality”? Explain your answer. Use examples from the article “My Grandfather’s Walking Stick.”
2. Kant enumerates several natural and devilish vices. How do you think Kant would view lying as discussed by Segal and gossip as discussed by Bok? Would he put gossip and lying in the natural or the devilish category of vice? Explain your answer. (Make sure you answer all parts.)
3. Under what circumstances could some human activities that we normally conceive as vices be considered at other times virtuous?
“When supported with education, a person’s integrity can give him something to rely on when his perspective seems to blur, when rules and principles seem to waiver, and when he’s faced with hard choices of right or wrong.” –James Stockdale
4. Is it important to have integrity? If so, why? If not, why not?
a. Should we ever sacrifice our integrity for the greater good of humankind? (Cf. Module 5 on Utilitarianism) Explain your answer.
b. How would Aristotle defend the virtue of integrity? (Cf. Module 5) Explain your answer.
5. Using Stoic Ethics as discussed in “The World of Epictetus,” and Plato’s “The Ring of Gyges respond to the following questions:
a. What would you do if you had the ring of Gyges? Would you use it for good or for evil? Why?
b. How is the Stoic ethic, an ethics of integrity, contrary to Glaucon’s contention that the best form of justice is doing wrong with impunity? Use the “Ring of Gyges” story to explain your answer.
7. How is Stoic Ethics helpful for keeping one’s integrity especially when under enormous pressure to give it up? Be sure to examine Stockdale’s eight year stay in a Vietnam prisoner of war camp to explain your answer. And also be sure to explain how the Bible especially the lessons from Job and the works the Stoic Philosopher Epictetus help him through these horrific years.
Looking for solution of this Assignment?
WHY CHOOSE US?
We deliver quality original papers
|Our experts write quality original papers using academic databases.|
|We offer our clients multiple free revisions just to ensure you get what you want.|
|All our prices are discounted which makes it affordable to you. Use code FIRST15 to get your discount|
|We deliver papers that are written from scratch to deliver 100% originality. Our papers are free from plagiarism and NO similarity|
|We will deliver your paper on time even on short notice or short deadline, overnight essay or even an urgent essay|