The calculation of Body Mass Index (BMI) is an important measurement tool for determining relative disease risk for preventable conditions like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. These conditions may be controlled and/or prevented by maintaining a healthy weight relative to height. For instance, the higher the BMI number above the normal range (18-25), the greater the degree of overweight.
National indicators for obesity, as determined by the BMI report that women are more likely to have higher BMI’s in comparison to men. In addition, minority women including African Americans, Hispanics, and Asian Americans are more likely to have a higher BMI in comparison to white women. However, recent research suggests that current standards for measuring BMI may not be accurate for African American women. Read the article “Ethnic-Specific BMI and Waist Circumference Thresholds”.
Create a 4- to 5-page report in Microsoft Word document that covers the following:
- Explain why the current BMI scale may not be an accurate measure of obesity for African American women.
- How can these findings impact the manner in which physicians communicate with their female patients about weight loss and disease prevention? In your explanation, be sure to describe at least one positive and one negative implication that these findings might have on how physicians counsel their female patients regarding weight-loss.
- What influence might these findings have on societal perceptions of body image and weight loss?
- Explain how an accurate perception of body image is associated with appropriate weight-control behavior.
- What social and cultural factors influence African American women’s risk of becoming obese?
- What role do the media play in promoting healthy eating behaviors in women and girls?
- What can be the implications for healthcare policy as a result of the findings of the study?
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
Looking for solution of this Assignment?
WHY CHOOSE US?
We deliver quality original papers
|Our experts write quality original papers using academic databases.|
|We offer our clients multiple free revisions just to ensure you get what you want.|
|All our prices are discounted which makes it affordable to you. Use code FIRST15 to get your discount|
|We deliver papers that are written from scratch to deliver 100% originality. Our papers are free from plagiarism and NO similarity|
|We will deliver your paper on time even on short notice or short deadline, overnight essay or even an urgent essay|